[ale] Why is RAM is so expensive?!? Anyone know an inexpensive source?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 18:43:24 EDT 2013

It's cheaper for power and RAM to get a new system than mess with an older
system now. Unless you are hell-bent on spending as little as possible NOW
and will to pay through the nose later at least.

DDR3 Registered ECC is less per GB than DDR2 unbuffered. The flops per watt
of new systems is quite an improvement over stuff just 5 years old. 8, 12,
16 cores in the same power envelope as 2 from 6 years ago.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> ECC, Registered, DDR2: all magic words that push the price up.  I thought
> about buying a used 1U to have at home for virtualization until I saw how
> much an "adequate" amount of memory would be.  (~$1k)
>

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> It's currently got DDR2 667 ECC Registered RAM.  The machine has 8
>> sticks of 2GB RAM.  Alas, this means it's full, so I'd have to remove
>> some of that RAM to put in new sticks.  :(
>>
>> It's a SuperMicro H8DA3-2 based system that I bought in January 2009.
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> writes:
>>
>> > I'll hazard a guess and say yes, it's just crucial.  Could it be
>> > because it's DDR1 or DDR2?
>> > That density isn't very common, at least at the consumer level.  I
>> > found a set of G.SKILL for about 100.
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486
>> > There are dozens of other options.

>> RAM

>> but

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

> David Tomaschik
> http://systemoverlord.com
> david at systemoverlord.com

James P. Kinney III