[ale] ZFS on Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 11:29:22 EDT 2013

After much research, I have decided to NOT implement ZFS. The main factors
of interest were the raidz2 and data deduplication. In order to support the
deduplication,the server needs 5G RAM per 1TB storage. That's a deal
breaker right there as the system to be used will only support 32G and has
50TB. Raidz2 is basically software RAID6 which I can already do.

Looked at getting an SSD for the deduplication data and using l2arc but I
have no space to install it on that server. Grr.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

> Thanks in advance for the notes you take.  I'm interested to hear what you
> find.
>
> By the way, work sent me to a Nexenta course in 2010 where I learned ZFS
> stuff from Richard Elling:
>
>   http://www.richardelling.com/
>
> ... and one thing that kept coming up is how users usually reach for the
> RAID-Z options when stripes of mirrors would perform better and offer more
> flexibility.  I thought that was notable.
>

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There was an update to this that just hit /.
>>
>> WooHoo!
>>
>> I have not used ZFS (minimal solaris experience) before but I have a
>> situation where raidz looks like a very good choice. An external 16 bay
>> JBOD box hanging off a SAS HBA looks like a prime candidate. The big issue
>> for me is the support for native NFSv4 ACLs which solves some issues.
>>
>> As I go through this exercise, I'll keep some notes and maybe look at a
>> presentation on doing this.
>>
>> hints, gotcha's, are very welcome.
>>
>> I did find a pdf of the zfsadmin.pdf  http://pdfhome.org/zfsadmin.pdf
>>
>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>> *
>> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
>> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
>> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
>> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>> *
>> http://electjimkinney.org