[ale] Moving my phone into the 20th Century

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Fri Apr 19 11:15:10 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 04/17/2013 03:30 PM, leam hall wrote:
> > We have Verizon as the wireless carrier. Would like to get an Android
> based
> > phone on the chance I start doing programming on it. What phones are the
> best to
> > have for programming purposes?
> >

> Whatever Google sells, like the Nexus4.  Don't know if that is available
> unlocked for Verizon or not.  Mine is GSM.
>
> By stating with google devices, you prevent the network-provider delays in
> getting updated OS releases.  It also means you run the reference platform
> for
> Android.
>
> If you plan to run other firmware, then I don't know.

I think this topic came up on the list, but just in case you didn't know:
The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your
Smartphone
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-most-ridiculous-law-of-2013-so-far-it-is-now-a-crime-to-unlock-your-smartphone/272552/

And when you consider that most all of the cell carriers don't provide
security updates for the phones in a timely manner, it's like saying we are
required to have insecure phones if we buy them from a carrier.

Chuck