[ale] how do I - icon starts script starts 4 scripts

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Thu Apr 18 12:22:51 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 11:12 AM, JD wrote:
> Perhaps the single more important tip I have for anyone writing any program or
> script is that if the function is longer than your screen can show, then you
> should break it up.  Everything that a function does should fit on a single
> screen and be viewable all at once.  For me, than means 10-30 lines per
> method/function/program.
There are, of course, exceptions to that rule, but I generally implement
that rule myself.

Very often, though, switches will overrun a screen by a great deal by
their very nature; when you're implementing a state machine, it is very
difficult to keep that rule for the whole mechanism. Then again,
typically a state machine is implemented once and used forever so it
might not be that big a deal.

There are other constructs or patterns that are also difficult to
implement in a single screen, and there are some systems where the
overhead of function calls takes the advantage of smaller functions
away, though such systems are quite rare today in the general-purpose arena.

— Mike