[ale] Linode hacked, CCs and passwords leaked

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Apr 16 12:10:41 EDT 2013

On 4/16/2013 08:51, Scott Plante wrote:
> It seemed like a great system and I don't know why they quit it, unless it was a victim of it's own success--perhaps they were using up their cc number address space too fast. Then again, that bank may have just been bought by some other one who didn't have the systems in place to offer that service. Does anyone know of a credit card company that does offer such a service these days?

Virtual account numbers sort of fell by the wayside as people viewed
online transactions with less risk.  That may change again.

Citibank offers the service[1] assuming you want to deal with Citi.  I
just had a disturbing and enlightening conversation with their customer
service.  Their website uses Java applets (not JavaScript) to perform
some of the log-in functions.  I was having trouble logging in to pay a
bill because a few weeks ago I had uninstalled Java from most systems.
They said I would just have to install Java again to make the page work
which I really don't feel like doing.

Of course I was dealing with a level one phone call center from India so
some of the info may not be quite right but they also implied that the
web design and operation had been outsourced there since the CS agent
had sent a message (in theory) to the web developers in the call center.

[1]https://www.citibank.com/us/cards/gen-content/messages/van/index.htm