[ale] how do I make a custom linux install boot from cd

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Apr 13 16:20:26 EDT 2013

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the note.  I've configured one particular Mint machine for Litecoin mining.  Currently, it's running off of a hard drive.  I was mainly thinking of saving the entire system to a read only media so that I wouldn't have to worry about hard drive failures and backups.  The DVD is the backup.  I could make 2 or 3.  Also, I wouldn't have to worry about power failures corrupting the hdd since we have so many storms around here.  While I wouldn't run the unit during heavy storms, I might leave it running until the storms get a bit closer.  As it is, I have to shut the unit down on even the hint of a possible power failure.  If I was running from read only media, I just boot it back up, and I'm back where I was before.  The work it's doing is stored in the cloud, so I don't have to store anything locally.  If I could figure out the custom live DVD concept, I wouldn't even need hard drives in the system.  I might have them anyway, but it would be much less critical.  Thin client might work, but my other major machine runs windows most of the time for other reasons.  I don't know if it could be the central boot server for the Mint machine or not.  I sort of prefer to have both machines running independent OS's, so it doesn't take both down if one is down.  Putting a UPS on this thing is not very cost effective since I'm pulling 200 - 500 W.

Sincerely,

Ron