[ale] networking backpressure

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:20:30 EDT 2013

Jim,

Sounds like the same issue I having. Driving me crazy to fix it. I got a
script doing a ifconfig down and then an up and that works, but it a
bandage.

My mounts are soft.

I have Gig cards and Gig Switches.

I will follow this to see it helps with my issue.

Pup

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/2013 02:33 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 2013, Jim Kinney wrote:
> >> so what happens when a series of machines, each with 1G nic all try to
> >> read/write to the same NFS mount filesystem,
> >> also on a single 1G nic, and this goes on for hours at a time?
> Eventually, nic
> >> buffers fill and the OS is told to "hold that thought". But for how
> long? Will
> >> the OS continue to try
> >> the write until it succeeds? Or will the constant buffer overload just
> cause a
> >> nic to flush the buffer and hope for
> >> better luck next send?
>
> My use of NFS is a little dated ... seems it would depend on the type of
> mount
> used - spongy, soft, or hard.
> If hard, it will try again and again and will appear to lockup the
> machine, IME.
> With soft mounts, writes aren't guaranteed.
> Spongy has the good of hard and the good of soft mounts. It will give up
> after a
> specific amount of time and continue as best it can - providing errors as
> required.  NFS mounts have lots of tunable params, if I recall correctly.
>
> Also, the specific buffer size for the involved NICs would matter too, but
> filling a network buffer should happen relatively quickly.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org