[ale] Disable foreign key checks in mysql

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Sep 25 17:30:48 EDT 2012

> Any suggestions for editing a 37GB file?
> -jt

Lots of ram. 64gb range..

"joe" and other editors will do it if you are patient for swapping chunks.

------------------------------------

If they are dumping that large of stuff and restoring it that way,
I would dump it 'per table' instead of one large table.

IF my individual tables were of that scale,
my backup script would be something like:

mysqldump -d -n -c -u root -pwhatisinaword bigdb foo > foo.create.sql

mysqldump -t -n -u root -pwhatisinaword bigdb foo > foo.data.sql

And then if you want, you can usually split the foo.data.sql file
into lines..

split -l 100000 foo.data.sql foo.data.part

and you restore these individually if careful. Note the lock statements
in the beginning and the end of the split files create.

So to restore:

mysql -u zippy -pdifferentpasswd newdbname <foo.create.sql
mysql -u zippy -pdifferentpasswd newdbname <foo.data.aa
mysql -u zippy -pdifferentpasswd newdbname <foo.data.ab
or some other variation of piping files, etc..