[ale] OT hackers steal keyless bmw in 3 minutes

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Sep 20 09:32:04 EDT 2012

I've had similar thoughts.  I don't know about other brands, but for
Mercedes, you have to go back pre 1985 to lose the computer.  That's
kind of hard to believe.  I just happen to have a 1981 MB 300SD.  I use
it for my backup car when my other one is ill.  Many of it's ancillary
systems (like "vacuum" powered door locks) have failed in the 31 years
since it was made.  However, the drive train still works.  Of course, it
could have an expensive failure at any time.  Crossing my fingers that
it won't.  When it was built, it had all this functional: power seats,
power windows, power door locks, power trunk lock, power fuel door lock,
power sunroof, automatic climate control, automatic break lining
monitor, automatic cruise control, and an accurate analog clock.  It has
a nice (technologically) but stinky 5 cyl cast iron diesel engine that
purrs like a big cat and really prefers to be exceeding 70 MPH, although
the speedometer tops out at 85 MPH.  They even pump the engine oil up
into the pistons in the engine to improve cooling and longevity.  The
fuel injector pump is an amazing piece of engineering involving gears,
pistons, and springs, which delivers the fuel to each cylinder at the
right moment.  It is, essentially, a mechanical computer of sorts.  The
car certainly has electronics, some of which may be digital, but no
computers to be found as far as I know.  A modern car is functionally
superior in most ways, but I still have a soft spot inside for this
beast.  As an engineer, I can appreciate it.  I wanted to convert it to
run on veggie oil but never have.

By the way, check out these fictional but realistic novels about
computer security.  I haven't read them yet, but they were recommended
on Security Now as they like to discuss sci fi on occasion.  One of my
pet peeves is that some novels use foul language which is unnecessary.
I don't know whether these do or don't, but the stories sound interesting.

Zero Day

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Day-Novel-Mark-Russinovich/dp/1250007305/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348147302&sr=8-3&keywords=russinovich

Trojan Horse

http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Horse-Russinovich-M/dp/1250024269/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348147302&sr=8-1&keywords=russinovich

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com