[ale] Rant[ish]: government and states requiring proprietary software

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Sep 18 16:43:43 EDT 2012

On 09/18/2012 09:45 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Ah. So get the stupid Adobe reader. Problem Solved.

Yeah, sure.  Which breaks a whole schload of stuff, and is still at
version 9, and is horribly written enough to bring my hexacore system
with 8 GB of RAM to its knees.  No, thanks.  It's less resource
intensive to boot Windows, sadly.

> Scribus, a FOSS tool
> has a wiki article about how to include Javascript in PDF forms. Or go
> yelp at evince for not getting javascript included yet.

Why would I yelp at the Evince developers to include a "feature" that I
don't want in the first place?

PDF is supposed to be electronic paper -- and anyone who breaks that
expectation is a horrible, horrible person.

JavaScript in PDF docs should be implemented in the same way as for HTML
documents: with the possibility to use the document without it.  Or,
again, if they want JS, it should be on a Web site, which is where the
bloody PDF probably came from in the first place!

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”