[ale] Rant[ish]: government and states requiring proprietary software

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Sep 16 09:36:25 EDT 2012

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>"mike at trausch.us" <mike at trausch.us> writes:
>
>> On 09/14/2012 12:56 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
>>> What is even worse is the money that could be saved by using FOSS
>>> instead proprietary.
>>>
>>> Also, as far as the forms, why not use web form and send the
>information
>>> directly to the database? I know clueless uncivil misservants stuck
>in
>>> the 1880's; they just got a new office tool - a typewriter
>>
>> I know, right?
>>
>> Why can't I file my 1040 at irs.gov using a Web form?
>>
>> Why can't I file my GA 500 on the GA DOR the same way?
>>
>> Why the HELL isn't the Web being natively leveraged for these things?
>>
>> No, I'm not at all angry, not at all.
>
>Because it would take money away from Intuit, so they lobby against it.

I use intuit.  They probably do a better job with my taxes than the IRS would.  Didn't the IRS spend billions of dollars a decade ago to revamp their 1960's 1970's computer tech, then trash the whole project because it wouldn't work?  I'm not against all govt agencies, my wife works for one.  However, they're not known for being bastions of efficiency or technical advancement.

Ron

>> 	--- Mike
>
>-derek

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com