[ale] Rant[ish]: government and states requiring proprietary software

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:23:57 EDT 2012

puzzled.

All of my tax forms are done using downloaded fill-in PDF docs and Linux
native pdf reader. For a few years I had to use Adobe reader until the
Linux native one has better support for fill-in forms.

None of the forms I've used have required javascript from the pdf. Please
provide example form number for the curious.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 12:56 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> > What is even worse is the money that could be saved by using FOSS
> > instead proprietary.
> >
> > Also, as far as the forms, why not use web form and send the information
> > directly to the database? I know clueless uncivil misservants stuck in
> > the 1880's; they just got a new office tool - a typewriter
>
> I know, right?
>
> Why can't I file my 1040 at irs.gov using a Web form?
>
> Why can't I file my GA 500 on the GA DOR the same way?
>
> Why the HELL isn't the Web being natively leveraged for these things?
>
> No, I'm not at all angry, not at all.
>
>         --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.