[ale] [ANNC] ALE CENTRAL MTG. for Thurs., Sept. 20, 2012 at 7:30pm

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:26:18 EDT 2012

The featured presentation for our next ALE CENTRAL
meeting on Thursday, Sept. 20th, 2012 at 7:30pm will be a
reprise of Orlando Karam's excellent presentation at the
ALE-NW meeting in August:

    Linux on ARM and the Raspberry Pi

Abstract:
-- ARM is a family of computer architectures, different from x86,
and characterized for its low cost and low power consumption.
Many cell-phones and tablets run on ARM, and now there are
many low-cost low-power servers running on ARM. We will
discuss some of the available hardware and the status of the
software, with a special focus on the Raspberry-Pi, a $35
computer system designed with a focus on education, but
useful on many domains.

Bio:
-- Presenter: Orlando Karam was born in the US but grew up
in Mexico. He got hooked up on Unix while a grad student at
Tulane University, and has been running Linux on servers and
laptops for more than 15 years. He teaches computer science
at Southern Poly, and has been playing with his raspberry pi
since it was delivered to him about 10 weeks ago.

=======
The meeting will be held at Emory Law School in our
usual Gambrel Hall, room 1C venue.
Our meeting time frame is 7:30pm to ~9:20pm
Directions to Emory Law School can be found at
<http://ale.org/?page_id=2>
======
As always, the info is also available to the public on our site:
<http://ale.org>