[ale] Stable, backward compatible APIs

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Sep 7 05:51:30 EDT 2012

> For remote consoles ... we don't have any pure consoles.  ssh is good enough.
> virsh provides commands for everything we need.  If we are on the same LAN,
> virt-manager has been enough.  Remember, I said we were small.  If a remote GUI
> is needed, I'll come in using FreeNX to a machine on the LAN and use that to run

First, what little I know about our KVM/Qemu stuff I learned from Adam
Jimerson, but he's usually a quiet lurker until beer has been
administered.

But you touched one of my hot buttons: Learning how to admin server things
via pure shell (ssh/virsh) and editing text config files on the server
directly will save your bacon when the frying pan is hot. Learn how to
do it the hard way, and then if you use a browser/gui you have a backup.

For me, it seems there is always some configuration option I need that the
direct interface supports but the idiot point and click level interface
does not.

Or should that be: Point and click idiot, interface..