[ale] which way to GO - go programming IDE

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 11:21:45 EDT 2012

Hi Ron,

I played some with the Golangide, it seems to work pretty well, IMO a lot
better than the Go plugin for Eclipse as you don't have all the bloat of
Eclipse (always a plus right? XD).  As for setting it up you can download a
precompiled version of it from
http://code.google.com/p/golangide/downloads/list installing is as simple
as extracting the tarball and placing it somewhere within your path
(personally I put in in /opt and symlinked the binary to /usr/bin).

Nothing can take me from Vim though my fingers are just so use to it that
anything else is "broken", I even made SublimeText 2 more Vim like just so
I could use it.

As for the Go plugins for Vim that adds syntax highlighting
and indentation guides for Vim, also flags areas where you have extra
whitespace which would get trimmed by "go fmt" anyways.  In the version
that shipped with Go1 it also adds new commands to Vim such as:

:Fmt - Runs "go fmt ." and reloads the file, saves you from having to exit
Vim run it then relaunch Vim.

:Import/:ImportAs - Adds a new package to your import list (package
importing is Java/Python like) in alphabetical order.  Go standard is all
imports should be alphabetical and if they are not go fmt will rearrange
your import order so that they are.  The Import As version allows you to
alias a package so you can say "import fmt package as 'f'" then in your
code you can refer to anything from that package as "f.Println" instead of
saying "fmt.Println" etc...

:Drop - Removes a previously imported package, Go standard states no unused
code and this includes packages

You also get access to the Go documentation from within Vim by moving the
cursor over the package and calling ":Godoc" this opens the documentation
for the package in a split in Vim so you can keep it up while you code

My tip to getting started working with Go in Vim would be:
1. Make use of the Go plugin it is as simple as adding

  set rtp+=$GOROOT/misc/vim
  filetype plugin indent on
  syntax on

to your ~/.vimrc and restarting vim

2. Use the "go get" command to install
https://github.com/nsf/gocodesetting vim up to use this is fairly
simple
https://github.com/nsf/gocode#vim-setup.  This will give you the ability to
use ommicomple with Go so you can type "fmt." and press Ctrl + x Ctrl + o
and see everything that package exports.

Optional:

1. Install a plugin manager for Vim there are two distinct ones out there:
https://github.com/gmarik/vundle
https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen

I prefer Vundle as it allows you to control the plugins via your vimrc file

2. Install the Syntastic plugin for Vim (
https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic).  This plugin is useful for pretty
much any language, what it does is runs your code through a
test compile, syntax check, or execution redirecting output somewhere like
/dev/null and reports (and visually flags any errors that were found in
Vim/GVim.  You can also call :Errors to see a scrollable list of errors in
case there are a lot.

If you have any Go/Vim/Go and Vim questions I am usually more than willing
to help people out.

PS If you would like I can send you a stripped down version of my vimrc
file to kick start you, I have a lot of brutal things in my config that
could scare a Vim beginner such as not allowing movement via the arrow key
only via h, j, k, l keys and such

>>> http://www.zeusedit.com/go.html