[ale] disk drive diagnostics nirvana - NOT - I have questions

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Oct 22 18:12:06 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've spent the last couple of days doing disk diagnostics on all my hard
drives, which I do periodically, and learning more than I really wanted
to know about sector errors.  I'll try to share more details later, but
for now, I'm just going to post the minimum.  As you may know, a HDD
that works perfectly from the factory may develop problems over time and
show either bad (reallocated) sectors or bad blocks.  Since the HDD
controller can usually only discover read / write problems when you
actually access the sector, I've developed a practice over the years to
read and write every sector on the hard drive a few times per year.  I
usually use Spinrite, which can operate on Windows or Linux drives.  It
boots as a free standing executable.  In the mode I use, it reads,
inverts and rewrites every sector on the disk, then does it again.  This
forces the drive's controller to find and remap any weak sectors to
somewhere else while they can still be read properly.  If the sector
doesn't read, Spinrite uses advanced statistical algorithms to try up to
2000 times to recover the data.  You can also do something similar with
badblocks -nsv in Linux, except for the bad sector recovery, although I
don't know exactly what algorithm it uses.  On a large drive, these
tests take days to complete.  Once they're done, I know that the drive
can absolutely read or write any sector reliably, or if it couldn't,
those questionable sectors should have been reallocated to other areas
by the controller.  The first thing I do when I get a new drive is write
it with random data then Spinrite it about 6 times to thoroughly burn it
in.  I then follow up with one such procedure every 4 - 6 months.

What usually happens is:

* Run file system check.  No problems, or minor problems fixed.
* Run Spinrite or badblocks.  No read write errors.
* Follow up by checking SMART data using Disk Utility or GSmartControl.
(PS, Disk Utility will not show SMART data on a USB drive due to a bug,
but GSmartControl can.)  No bad sectors and no pending reallocations.

I have two 1 TB drives that I use for backup.  I backup to one then
mirror it to the other.  I recently had occasion to completely read one
and write the other in a mirroring process.  As far as I know, there are
no read or write errors.  When I ran the SMART check, I found that one
of these has 12 bad or reallocated sectors and the other has 120.  This
prompted me to start the Spinrite process on one, which I haven't
finished, to read, invert, write, read, invert, write the data.  I could
have used badblocks as well.  I've finished 72% of one drive, and, thus
far, have had no read or write failures or bad blocks reported.

So, the $ 600,000 question is this.  Assuming every active sector on the
drives can be successfully read and written, should I be concerned about
12 or 120 bad reallocated sectors?  I find a wide variety of opinion on
the net ranging from not a problem all the way to replace the drives
immediately.  Note that these are my backup drives for this PC, so I
REALLY don't want them to fail.  The drives may be more than 5 years
old.  I'd have to dig through receipts.  However, they're showing a
powered on time of 2.1 years.

Let me know what you think.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)