No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

Here are some random things to try:

* swap the ide cable with another
* change from master to slave or vice versa, remember to change the jumper on the drive if you have to, and potentially put it back later
* if you have another ide port available, try that
* may be self evident but make sure one drive is master and the other is slave unless cable select is used
* if the bios doesn't self configure interrupts, make sure there are no conflicts
* if you want to spend a few bucks, you could get an add-on ide card and try that port
* stick the drive in a usb-ide enclosure and check transfer rates, usb-2 should be capable of 30 MB/s or so
* you could test the drive in another computer
* boot off a live cd and try some transfer rate testing, that would eliminate any software configuration errors

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Ron