No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

software unless you have 512k disks as the backup destination..

 *From:* Ron Frazier (ALE)
*Sent:* March 19, 2013 11:48 AM
*To:* justgold79 at gmail.com
*Subject:* Re: [ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k
boundaries

**
Hi Justin,

I had bet Phil that he couldn't get XP running on a 4 K sector drive, under
certain criteria.  He accepted the bet and eventually won it.  He can fill
in the details.  At this point, I have not personally ran XP with a 4K
sector drive.  I pulled out some links which may help you.

At the very least, you probably need sata drivers updated as of mid 2010,
ahci mode on mb, and xp sp 3 with latest patches.  Even if the unit boots,
I wouldn't trust it without testing it for a while, including updates.  My
Win 7 machine looked like it was working for a while then I started getting
data corruption.  I jumped through all kinds of hoops, but updating the
sata driver appears to have been the ultimate fix.

This is my message which started the thread, and which describes my
initially failed attempt to get my Win 7 running on a 4 K sector drive.

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139605.html

A comment by Phil re XP

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139638.html

A response to a comment by me regarding XP patch support ending

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139648.html

The imfamous bet

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139662.html

He takes me up on it

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139663.html

I clarify the conditions

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139667.html

Phil further clarifies and accepts

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139676.html

Note that the hard drive he used has Seagate's SmartAllign technology which
reduces migration problems.  This may be a feature you want to look for.
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/barracuda-g=
reen/

Background data from MS regarding 4K drives and Win XP.

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139785.html

10 steps you need to consider when converting to a 4K drive.

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139797.html

Phil describes how he won.

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139881.html

I had to concede

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2013-January/139885.html

That should give you lots of good information to think about.

Also, here is some info on SSD's that I posted previously that you might
find interesting.

Thread from Sept 2012 on SSD remaining lifetime indicator

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137821.html

SSD Info you need to know thread

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137831.html

Some of the sources for my original post

     http://www.ale.org/pipermail/ale/2012-September/137874.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron