No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

Geoffrey Myers<br>
On Jan 11, 2013, at 1:48 PM, &quot;Lightner, Jeff&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:JLightner at water.com">JLightner at water.com</a>&gt;<br>
wrote:<br>
&gt; Having driven to all 49 continental US states and 8 Canadian<br>
provinces I can tell you that driving is NOT universally better above<br>
the Mason-Dixon line. =A0In fact it seems to vary state by state or<br>
province by province. =A0 In NJ/NY on I 95 you=92ll see traffic as bad if<b=
r>
not worse than anything you=92ll see in Atlanta. =A0 What you do see is<br>
that usually in and around large metro areas traffic is worse both in<br>
volume and in manners than in other areas.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; One big exception is that in most of Indiana it seems that ALL<br>
drivers go out of their way to be in your way. =A0Indiana has annoyed me<br=

because none of the states around it seem to have the same issues. =A0Even<=
br>
Chicago drivers seem more courteous than those buffoons.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; From: <a href=3D"mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org">ale-bounces at ale.org</a> [=
mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org">ale-bounces at ale.org</a>] On B=
ehalf Of<br>
Jim Kinney<br>
&gt; Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:19 PM<br>
&gt; To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [ale] [OT rant] selfishness<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have noticed on my jaunts to Boulder that above the Mason-Dixon<br>
line, driving changes radically for the better. If I&#39;m approaching<br>
someone in the left lane, they pull over to the right. If I use my turn<br>
signal to indicate I&#39;m changing lanes, the car I&#39;m about to pull in=
front of will either make a bit more room for me of flash lights to let<br>
me know I&#39;m clear when it&#39;s really close. No one guns it to cut me =
off<br>
from changing lanes.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Jerald Sheets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:q=
uesty at gmail.com">questy at gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
wrote:<br>
&gt; I am so glad I moved to North Carolina right now. =A0I believe I saw<b=
r>
two cows and a squirrel on my way in this morning...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --jer<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:51 AM, Jim Kinney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jim.kin=
ney at gmail.com">jim.kinney at gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; There was a wreck on I-285 that required fire trucks, ambulance and<br=

closing down 3 lanes next to the center divider. Of course traffic is<br>
backed up for a few miles. As the emergency vehicles are approaching,<br>
people were, in general, making NO APPARENT EFFORT to clear a path for<br>
the emergency access. I could see the approaching lights and hear the<br>
sirens a full 2 minutes before they were finally adjacent to my car.<br>
Finally, as they were nearly adjacent, traffic began to ignore the lane<br>
markers and spread apart to allow an envelope of open road to appear<br>
just ahead of the emergency trucks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; And then the most blatant example of selfishness I&#39;ve ever seen<br=

occurred. The car behind me had not made a single move to clear the way<br>
for the ambulance. From my view, the cell phone call was far more<br>
important than the road conditions. So when I was finally able to<br>
squeeze left, along with the cars in front and the right side traffic<br>
squeezing right, the car behind me took the new hole as an opportunity<br>
to jump in front of the traffic that was making room for the ambulance<br>
and fire rescue trucks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The driver actually impeded the flow of the emergency crew as she<br>
finally tried to merge back into traffic but there was no room. So she<br>
stopped moving, laid on the horn and looked like she was about to ram a<br>
car out of they way when finally some serious other car packing allowed<br>
her to clear the way.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As a species, we are doomed if that mentality continues. I hope the<br=

fire truck got her tag and she loses her license. We need to have urban<br>
transportation that is not propelled by individual interest. The roads<br>
are simply too crowded and people are too distracted to always be safe<br>
drivers. We can&#39;t force people to be safe but we can remove<br>
opportunities for people to be stupid and selfish. I like the idea of<br>
being able to get to work/pub/friends/food without needing to sweat the<br>
details of driving and still make it in less than 2 hours. I ESPECIALLY<br>
want to hit my fav pubs and then get home without endangering anything<br>
but my own liver.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We are close to having the capability but we are light-years from<br>
having the social will to make the leap.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &lt;/rant&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; um. duh. The auto2 should have a hardened, real-time Linux system<br>
brain.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; James P. Kinney III<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you<=
br>
gain at one end you lose at the other. It&#39;s like feeding a dog on his<b=
r>
own tail. It won&#39;t fatten the dog.<br>
&gt; - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://electjimkinney.org" target=3D"_blank">http://electji=
mkinney.org</a><br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Ale mailing list<br>
&gt; See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo</a><br>
[...]
&gt; Athena=AE, Created for the Cause=99<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; How and Why I Should Support Bottled Water!<br>
&gt; Do not relinquish your right to choose bottled water as a healthy<br>
alternative to beverages that contain sugar, calories, etc. Your support<br=

of bottled water will make a difference! Your signatures count! Go to<br>
ers" target=3D"_blank">http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-=
iframe/dswaters</a><br>
and sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled<br>
water. Help fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits (or<br>
taxes) and organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled water.<br>
Support community curbside recycling programs. Support bottled water as<br>
a healthy way to maintain proper hydration. Our goal is 50,000<br>
signatures. Share this petition with your friends and family today!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---------------------------------<br>
&gt; CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or<br>
confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended<br>
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,<br>
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is<br>
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic<br>
transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you<br>
have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.<br>
&gt; ----------------------------------<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Ale mailing list<br>
&gt; See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo</a><br>
to<br>
report it:<br>
?rptid=3D20625&amp;srvid=3D16vl15t" target=3D"_blank">http://control.eastco=
bbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=3D20625&amp;srvid=3D16vl1=
5t</a><br>