[ale] Next problem, How do I change boot partitions?

simontek at gmail.com simontek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:57:23 EST 2012

hd (0,0) is sda1 . hd(1,9) is sdb10

------Original Message------
From: Jim Lynch
Sender: ale-bounces at ale.org
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
ReplyTo: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: [ale] Next problem, How do I change boot partitions?
Sent: Nov 30, 2012 4:53 PM

I reinstalled centos 6 and accidently used an existing LARGE partition
as my boot partition. I'd like to correct that. I've put the files from
/boot on the right (and smaller) partition but now I'm not sure how to
tell grub about the change. I have modified fstab to point to the new
boot partition.

I saw a suggestion on the web that said to enter grub and search for
menu.lst. Here's what I found:

grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst
find /boot/grub/menu.lst
  (hd1,0)
  (hd1,6)
grub> quit

That's all fine and good but it didn't find my boot partition, it found
a couple of old ones. If I read this correctly (hd1,0) is /dev/sdb1. And
sure enough /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb7 have boot partitions but so do
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 but they didn't show up in this search. Anyway
the suggestion was to use the grub setup command but I'm afraid to since
grub didn't find those partitions.

Fdisk shows /dev/sda1 has the boot flag set. It also is the new boot
partition I want to use.

The root partition is on /dev/sdb10. Can I use grub-update somehow?

Thanks for any guidance.
Jim.