[ale] Can't find LVM volumes on USB drive

simontek at gmail.com simontek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:27:17 EST 2012

You did run pvscan as well?
------Original Message------
From: Jim Lynch
Sender: ale-bounces at ale.org
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
ReplyTo: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: [ale] Can't find LVM volumes on USB drive
Sent: Nov 29, 2012 7:22 PM

I had a disk starting to develop problems according to SMART. Excessive
bad sectors so I replaced it.  To make a long story short, I trashed a
partition on the new disk accidently so I plugged the old one into a
USB/HD jig to try to get some data from it.  fdisk -l /dev/sde shows:

/dev/sde1               1        6079    48829536   83  Linux
/dev/sde2            6080       18238    97667167+  83  Linux
/dev/sde3           18239       60801   341887297+  8e  Linux LVM

If I attempt to mount /dev/sde3 it complains about
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

vgscan doesn't find anything on that drive.  It does find a volume group
on /dev/sda however.

I tried an fsck /dev/sde3 and got bunches of errors that looked bad.  I
answered no to fixing them.  I'm not surprised at this since I'm sure
this device had an lvm volume on it at one time.

Is there any way to recover this?  Every time I set a system up with LVM
I run into these kinds of problems.  You'd think I'd learn eventually.

Thanks,
Jim.