[ale] Issue with Virtual Box 4.2.4 on Lubuntu 12.04 encrypted hard drive--SOLVED

Jonathan Meek jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 17:36:42 EST 2012

Guys,

Managed to figure it out. Apparently the encryption of the home folder
seems to have caused a problem with encrypting the entire drive. I did a
reinstall only encrypting the hard drive and it worked fine.

Figured that I would let you all know where i got with this so no one was
burning brainpower when we have Raspberry Pi's to hack for our personal
enjoyment.

Looking forward to seeing people's innovations.

Regards,

Jonathan
 On Nov 21, 2012 6:58 PM, "David Tomaschik" <david at systemoverlord.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, I suspect deja dup's restore might've messed things up.  I know it
> uses librsync internally, not sure if it does any deletion (I wouldn't
> think so, but you never know).
>
> Also, it's worth noting that the last time I benchmarked it, eCryptFS was
> slower than LUKS/dm-crypt (if you care about encryption performance).
>

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Jonathan Meek <jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> I will give that a try this evening when I get home. With my luck, I will
>> fire up the computer and it will work just fine. Also, I was restoring my
>> backups from deja dup, which is the default backup system in Ubuntu, at the
>> same time I was trying to create the VM hard drive.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jonathan
>> On Nov 21, 2012 3:51 PM, "Erik Mathis" <erik at mathists.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I run 12.04+vbox with encrypted homes on my laptop. I did move the vbox
>>> disks outside of my home dir because I assumed there is a performance hit.
>>> All night to make a small 100G file should not be. There is something else
>>> wrong here (assuming sata2) or something else is sucking up all the IO. My
>>> first guess for the missing image might be because of rsync's with the
>>> --delete flag (backups)? You may want to run bonnie++ on the disk and see
>>> if something looks wrong. btw,
>>>
>>> emathis at emathis-lappy:~$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=123 bs=10240
>>> count=102400
>>> 102400+0 records in
>>> 102400+0 records out

>>> http://sys-log.bencane.com/**2012/08/troubleshooting-high-**