[ale] Terminal key stutter

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Nov 29 07:45:38 EST 2012

On 11/29/2012 07:19 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Sometimes I've been able to do a buffer flush by using the arrow keys.
> At least they don't insert text. A left then right arrow is my trick.
>
> Some (most) VPNs support some type of "keep alive". Tweaking that
> setting by setting to a shorter time interval to poke the connection
> may help.
>
> Of course if you're a decent touch typist, the lag will drive you
> nuts. Unlearn all your good habits and stare at the keyboard while you
> type and it will catch up when you glance up at the screen to check
> for splling errors. :-)
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:
>> Ale Crew,
>>
>> I have a problem with key delay when I am logged in over VPN.
>>
>> The delay causes me to not know where my cursor is, so when I type I am not
>> confident that I am inserting text into the correct spot on the screen.
>>
>> Sometimes I wait quite a while for the cursor to catch up, then I press my
>> subsequent key, only to have the cursor instantly respond with a cached key
>> and the key I just pressed.
>>
>> What are some things that I can look for to solve this problem?
>> 1) environment variables?
>> 2) bash settings?
>> 3) particular terminal emulators that mitigate the problem?

Which "vpn" are you using?  Lighter weight ones don't seem to have the same
issues, IME.  I use a pure xterm with ssh - no X-forwarding and don't have the
same issues.  I've never seen the point of using any of the bloated newer
terminals.  Sometimes I do use UTF8 support in an rxvt, but that is liter than a
straight xterm.

OTOH, when I use a NX client showing an entire desktop from halfway around the
world, there is some delay in the typing and display, occassionally, but not
really as often as I'd expect.  Perhaps onces every 5 or 10 minutes for 10 seconds.

I stopped using VNC due to lag. I found it unacceptable and it wasn't just
typing that lagged.  I'd be extremely interested in a Spice-How-To, assuming
Spice either includes or will run well through a VPN.