[ale] way OT - used car buying tips - yea or nea - PT 2

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Nov 28 17:16:11 EST 2012

Hi Sean,

It's good to know the Santa Fe can do some hard work when needed.  Mine has the 2.7 L engine, not the 3.5 L, but it's still a V6.  Transverse mounted, so the last three spark plugs are buried under engine equipment and the timing belt will be a bear to do.  Otherwise, I think it's a good car.  We've had my wife's Sonata for 3 years and really like it.  My mechanic says newer Hyundai's and Kia's are right up there in quality with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.  He also likes newer Ford's.

Re: towing - I was surprised to find out that the towing limiting factor is based, not on the power of the engine, but whether the trailer has brakes.  With trailer brakes, I can do 3000 lbs.  Otherwise, it's 1500 lbs.  Some people on internet forums said the 2.7L is underpowered for towing.

Re: awd - All wheel drive can be very handy.  I almost bought an AWD Mazda Tribute.  However, it had an unpatchable screw AND nail in one tire.  They said I had to replace all tires at once to keep them the same circumference.  I did some research and it appears to be true.  You have to keep the tread depth of all tires within 1 or 2/32 of an inch or it screws up the drive train and can cause premature failure.  I never knew that before.

Re: gas brands - What brands does it like?  I usually use QT without problems.  I guess their wholesale brands can come from different sources depending on pricing.  Have you noticed a difference between summer and winter?  On that fuelly site I mentioned where people track their mileage, I noticed a big difference between summer and winter.

Re: scan gauge mpg - I cannot speak re that particular product.  However, I did get an ODB / bluetooth interface and used my android tablet to talk to it with the torque pro program.  I found the MPG readings to be way off compared to counting miles and fuel used at each fill up.  I have no idea why.  I could add a fudge factor into the program, but I just gave up on that.  Right now, I'm just logging fuel and miles at each fill up and tabulating manually.

Sincerely,

Ron