[ale] OT Routing Breakdown.

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Fri Nov 2 19:03:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Bob Kruger <bkruger at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I am sorry if this is OT, but I am hoping that someone in the ALE has
> experience in solving the following problem.
>
> I maitain a site that is run right outside of Boston.  About 600 people
> access the site from around the world.  Starting Saturday past, the site
> became unreachable to over 200 users both in the United States and
> worldwide.  The problem was most prevalent with AT&T subscribers, but that
> may be due to the sheer number of people who use AT&T.  At first the hosting
> service told me that AT&T was blocking the site.  However, conversations
> with AT&T level two tech support confirmed that it was not blocked by them.
> There had been some reports of SPAM, but that was traced down to the emails
> that can be sent out when a user forgets their password.  Some systems
> reject emails from "Webmaster".
>
> There seems to be a routing breakdown somewhere,  A user in California did a
> traceroute to the system, and was able to take a snapshot of where the
> routing broke down.  Neither AT&T nor the hosting service state that this is
> their responsibility to pursue.
>
> So, how does one go about fixing a routing problem?
>
> Bob

Take a look at some services that check the site from multiple
locations.  I use websitepulse.com and they work well and are pretty
cheap.

Are you sure this started Saturday and not Sunday?  I heard there was
a little rain and some wind in that area that might have caused some
issues...

❧ Brian Mathis