[ale] ARRGH - yet another way they invade your privacy - DOM storage

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Nov 1 16:57:26 EDT 2012

I just have a minute to post this.  I discovered this while configuring Internet Explorer on a Win 7 machine.  It applies to Firefox too, on whatever platform.  Not sure about Safari and Opra and other browsers.  Apparently, DOM storage provides a much more flexible and versatile way for website operators to store much more persistent data on your machine without your knowledge and without all those onerous restrictions on what you can do with cookies.  I read just a bit about it and decided to turn it off.  Your mileage may very.  Yet another thing I have to tweak on every IE and FF install I own.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/106540-dom-storage-cookies-enable-disable.html

So, if you're keeping score, and you care about such things, you need to control / disable:

cookies
flash cookies
DOM storage

Warning, doing this may break websites in very strange ways.  If you incapacitate your computer, it's on your shoulders.

I recommend the following FF add-ons for those concerned about privacy and security

noscript
betterprivacy
collusion
ghostery

OH, and remove JAVA from the machine altogether!

For what it's worth.

Or, you can think like the Borg - RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com