[ale] Bash wildcard

Michael Campbell michael.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:01:08 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> Oh yea, why is make not good enough for Java?  Is it because the syntax
> is so cryptic that Ant had to be created? I only say this from
> experience.  I tried to craft a whole build process in Perl for this
> project and after going back to the GNU Make manual I've ditched it and
> went back to make. :P

 Many (most?) java people didn't come from a unix background so wouldn't
have had the background to know about make.  I've seen plenty of java
makefiles, so they do exist.

There are a number of build tools in the java space; ant is probably the
widest used.  Maven is used (and loved, or hated, and rarely anywhere
between) in a lot of places, and a new upstart called Gradle (based on
Groovy) is making inroads.

The recent joke amongst us java folk is "The big difference between ant and
maven is that the author of ant has apologized."