[ale] partitioning and /usr [was Re: Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server]

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 22 09:03:13 EDT 2012

On 03/20/12 14:32, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> /usr because I’ve been doing it for years on other platforms as the UNIX
> System V way of doing things.  I even create /opt although other than
> Dell OpenManage I’ve not found many Linux apps that use /opt.

Just proprietary (binary-only) stuff that you don't really mess with
should be in /opt.  For example, that's where I install the Oracle JRE.

If I use /opt on a system, it is (usually) its own filesystem because
none of my boot process will ever depend on the things there.

> However, there was a separate email in the thread that talks about why
> having separate /usr is problematical in newer Linux distros so I may
> move off of having it separate.

You don't need to have /usr on / --- all that *has* to happen is that
/usr has to be mounted in the very early-boot process.  You can
accomplish that pretty easily with an initrd that pre-mounts /usr before
starting the init daemon, regardless of what init daemon that is.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”