[ale] Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 22 08:53:10 EDT 2012

On 03/20/12 00:30, James Sumners wrote:
> Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I have found having /boot on a non-LVM
> partition and everything else managed by LVM to be quite useful. In
> fact, I had to resize a root partition on a server I was setting up just
> today (well, yesterday at this point) because I forgot to appease the
> great Oracle client with way too much swap space (I gave 512MB and it
> wanted twice RAM [60GB of swap?! Ridiculous]). It's also handy when you
> need to add a new drive into the mix for more free space.

Having a /boot on a "normal" partition, and using LVM/mdraid on the
others is just fine.  It's a "legacy" setup in that it isn't strictly
speaking necessary these days (GRUB 2 can deal with the kernel and
initrd being on LVM and mdraid storage, for example, in most
situations).  That said, it is always safe to have a separate /boot.

What I typically do is have a smaller drive be the boot drive, use
mdraid on whole disks in a single partition, and then use LVM on top of
the mdraid.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”