[ale] OT: Craigslist Scam

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 12 19:34:17 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 19:22 -0400, Scott McBrien wrote:
> No, if you reply to them, they try the Nigerian check scam on you.

What I can figure out is that since spoofing is not allowed using
gmail's smtp server then they use the Reply-to so that I send to them
and not the account holder.

I've tried spoofing using the smtp server and no matter what From
address I've tried google has replaced it with the one associated with
my account.

Why go to that trouble.  Why not just send it from the Reply-To address?

It seems fishy.  Normal computer users would not really know about
Reply-To and how it works.

Chris