[ale] What belongs on Top or Bottom Centos or Fedora?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Mar 8 11:05:02 EST 2012

In thinking through setting up the next home office server, presuming
that I'm wanting to stay in the Red Hat realm, it looks like the
following are choices:

        A: Centos 6.2 installed on the bare metal

                KVM/VM of Fedora the latest
                KVM/VM or VirtualBox VM of XP needed for some Windows
                Stuff
                KVM/VM or VirtualBox VM of Windows 7 needed for some
                Windows Stuff

or

        B: Fedora the latest  installed on the bare metal
                KVM/VM of Centos 6.2

                KVM/VM or VirtualBox VM of XP needed for some Windows
Stuff
                KVM/VM or VirtualBox VM of Windows 7 needed for some
Windows Stuff

My understanding of the general timeline evolution of versions is:

        Internal Development ==> Fedora  ==> RHEL ==> Centos

Meaning that Fedora is inherently the latest, and Centos happens after
the RHEL release.   Which is a double edge sword, like the release that
didn't know how to drive Intel 945 video cards (just the onboard video
for every Netvista desktop made for several years) when it booted, so
that update booted to the black screen of death.

I'm thinking that it makes more sense to have the most stable OS as the
"real" installed OS.   Otherwise I'm faced with wondering what major
hunk of hardware will be broken in this Fedora update.   And having
another "won't boot" experience leaves us totally in the lurch.   So I'm
thinking A makes the most sense.   What that does give up is access to
any groovy new KVM or Kernel related features in the latest version of
Fedora.

Thoughts?

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd