[ale] [ANNC] ALE-NW MTG for Thurs., March. 8th, 2012

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 01:51:26 EST 2012

Verbatim from JD on Tuesday morning
(with apologies that I I couldn't pass it along until now):

The next ALE-NW at SPSU meeting is being held Thursday,  March. 8th, 2012 at 7:30pm
in room 131 of the Atrium (J) building on the SPSU campus.

The feature presentation will be Ron Baker's most excellent presentation on:
   The Cloud and Openstack (Is timesharing back in)?

Abstract:
* What is the cloud?
* What are the driving forces behind the cloud
* The 4 - aas's
* Focus on IaaS and what it brings or doesn't to the table
* Now Openstack
 - What is it
 - Who, what, when, and why (History)
* Openstack core components
 - Software
 - Typical hardware configurations
 - Network
 - Component interaction
 - Monitoring tools
* Typical architectures
 - Proof of concept (in use today)
 - Large scalable
* Lessons Learned or what should I do and not do
 - Type of cloud implementations
* Private, hybrid, public
* Where can I get more information?
* Is man really your friend....

---------
Bio:
Ron is a Principal Technical Architect at at&t, where he is responsible for IT
Infrastructure design for emerging services and network enablers. Prior to his
current position, Ron was an architect in the ITO organization. He has held
various positions in telecommunications, including IT Director at BellSouth
Advertising and Publishing, IT architect for video services and mobility,
Product Selection Manager, Product Manager, and various sales and sales support
management positions.

Ron has extensive experience in mid-range servers (HP, Sun, IBM), Intel-based
hardware (both Windows and Linux), as well as broad network knowledge including
TCP/IP and WAN transport (MPLS).

Previous to his career in telecommunications, Ron was a programmer at Burlington
Industries. He is a graduate of N. C. State University with a degree in Applied
Mathematics and a minor in Computer Science.

Go Wolfpack - ACC Tourney is in town this week!

rbaker at ssirx.com

=======
For a campus map and a link to directions please see
<http ://www.spsu.edu/visitspsu/campusmaps/index.htm>
or visit the ALE NW wiki page at
<http://tomshiro.org/twiki/view/ALE/AleNwOrg>
Parking in non reserved spaces in the P60 deck is best.
building J, the Atrium building, is a short distance east
of the parking deck.
======
ALE-NW at SPSU meetings are open events and we hope
you will join us!  Also remember that topic suggestions
and presentation offers the meetings can be emailed to
[ jdp (at) algoloma ]