[ale] has anyone successfully used RSYNC to....

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Mar 4 18:05:17 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 16:39 -0500, Wolf Halton wrote:
> Replacing the booted os with an archived copy may also replace /proc.
> Though  there may be a way  to avoid that.

No.

/proc is the proc file system.  It's special.  Like /sys (sysfs) and
pty, it's a pseudo filesystem.

1) It should NOT be backed up.  That's worthless.  My backups using
rsync always include -x and then only specify the specific file systems
I want to back up.

2) /proc and /sys will always be recreated by the OS.  They are not real
file systems.

Mike