[ale] cheap android tablets source

rhia rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Fri Mar 2 02:06:07 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 08:03 -0500, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I went to the Atlanta Mobile Developers meeting tonight.  A guy there
> > told me about this source for inexpensive Android tablets.  So, I'm
> > passing it along.
> >
> > http://cheapestandroid.com/
>
> No reflection on you Ron...
>
> <rant>
>
> That is the worst website I have ever seen.  The continuous sliding back
> and forth makes me want to vomit.
>
> Why do people build pages like this trash.
>
> </rant>

Bad design, yes, but have seen much worse. Just bite the bullet and
click on one of the two directional arrows to make the sliding stop.
However, I will join with ranting about sites that force you to click on
a directional arrow to make movement stop, sites that automatically load
sound, sites that hide the sound controls in tiny little print, or
worse, sites that don't give any option to turn off the sound, or
motion, or both, at all.

And I don't blame the designers, well, not entirely. Most are just
trying to collect payment from clueless overly demanding customers.

Ahem,
However...
At least make the attempt to convert your customer to more reasonable,
less bling-filled annoyances. If they won't listen, take the check and
move on to the next account.

Personally, a main page with sound and animation of any sort annoys me.
They take longer to load and are far more distracting than enticing. If
I can't glaringly obviously turn off the movement or sound within the
first 3 seconds of loading a page, I close it, black-list it, and don't
go back. So, maybe I might occasionally miss some first run early
adoption tech. So be it. The way I view it is that if the tech is worth
adopting it will still be there long enough for more professional
appearing sites to be built. It's a personal thing, but I refuse to give
serious attention, let alone hard earned cash, to annoying amateurish
bling filled animated sites especially in the age of paying for
bandwidth on smart phones. Site in question (cheapestandroid.com) could
have had the prominent buttons and let the user decide to click or not.
(HINT to cheapestandroid - your target audience who have found your site
are perfectly capable of clicking the arrow buttons. Promise.)

When I click on a link for information, whether or not buying is an
option, that's exactly what I want: Information. Not animation, not
sound, not bling, just plain ol' generic information. Occasionally small
footprint images for clarification. Put the fancy stuff, if it has to be
there at all, off the front page, thankyouverymuch.

----
rhia