[ale] OT I had to relate this Comcast conversation with y'all

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 29 12:36:17 EDT 2012

Byron Jeff <byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu> writes:

> They never figured out that the primary advantage of cable was that one
> could plug in a cable directly from the wall into the TV, which no
> additional box required, and let the TV tuner do the work. If Comcast had
> stayed with Clear QAM in HD for broadcast (which can be pulled out of the
> air anyway), and in SD for their basic cable content, they'd probably still
> have me as a Triple-Play customer, as I content with their internet
> service, and the phone wasn't an inconvenient part of that bundle.
>
> But they screwed it all up and kept trying to explain to me how their
> lockdown made my experience better. I explained to their script readers who
> it made it worse, and eventually walked away. Satellite at the time had
> better settop boxes. So if I had to pay for boxes, I may as well get boxes
> I could work with.

I don't know where you live, but here in Sandy Springs Comcast does
broadcast the OTA channels in HD in Clear QAM.  But they ONLY broadcast
the OTA channels in clear QAM (both SD and HD).  Nothing else is in the
clear anymore.

> BAJ

-derek