[ale] distributed network file system

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Wed Jun 27 17:37:13 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM, John Heim <john at johnheim.net> wrote:
> I would like to set up a distributed network file system in my department.
> There is a dizzying array of possibilities, gfarmfs, ceph, glusterfs, just
> to name a few.
>
> Needs:
> 1. Should work on a large number of small nodes, 100Gb each.
> 2. Parallelism & striping.
> 3. Prefer debian package, GPL.
> 4. Meta data in mysql would be nice.
>
> Any experience and/or recommendations?

I've looked around for things to do this for a while, and finally came
across Tahoe LAFS, which runs on Linux, Windows, Mac, BSD, eth...  I
have not used it myself, but the project seems to have the same goals
that you are looking for.  I'm not sure if it's good for active online
storage though -- I always thought about it as extra storage for
backups.

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

❧ Brian Mathis