[ale] Web site to help people become professional Linux System Administrators?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:33:37 EDT 2012

I beg to differ!

A cert in Microsoft means nothing other than (l)user passed a test. They
can do this without ever touching a computer.

The RHCE means that engineer has passed a rigorous field test of both
theoretical as well as practical, hands-on troubleshooting.

It is not possible to pass the RHCE exam without several years of
experience. While general Linux skilz would be useful, the exam is very
geared toward a professional engineer working in a high-count RHEL
environment. A solid understanding of how to setup and configure a RHEL
server for a variety of common needs each with a bit of a twist is a
requirement to survive the test. The test has a 50% first pass rate. Only
the CNA test is viewed higher by those signing paychecks. There are
additional, higher-order RHEL tests, RHCA - RedHat Certified Architect ,
that requires a RHCE to start plus 5 of 7 additional specialty
certifications.

But, yes, RHCE == $$$. Both to take and to make.

I have yet to see an ad for a RHCA. I would require a total boatload of
cash to even give a CFO the time of day if I went that route.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> I guess by this point it's not much different from getting a job doing
> Microsoft: 1) Get Red Hat certificate 2) Apply.  Seems there's little
> market outside of the RH vertical.
>
> On 6/22/12 1:13 PM, leam hall wrote:
> > Many moons ago I picked up a domain name with the idea of building a
> > site to help people move into professional linux. It is my nature to
> > help people grow. Unfortunately I've not done much with it. Trying ot
> > decide if there's a niche to fill and if so what should go there.
> >
> > My real goal is not to duplicate efforts but to collate information,
> > provide insight to industry trends, and help answer the "how do I get
> > a job doing Linux" question that keeps coming up now and again.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Leam

James P. Kinney III
*