[ale] Need help with an Ubuntu ks.cfg

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:47:17 EDT 2012

yes! Bingo!

That .disk is used to identify the install disk to anaconda. It is a
crucial chunk. sorry. I didn't realize you had a home-built installation
disk.

There's a pattern to the code in that file. If you compact a CD tree int a
single DVD, the disk id does not need to change.

HOWEVER! If you add a disk the disk id must be different for disk 2+ and
later in sequence that earlier disks.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Ted W <ted at techmachine.net> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Ted W wrote:
>
> On Jun 20, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Brian MacLeod wrote:
>
> On 6/20/12 9:05 AM, Ted W wrote:
>

> Not that this helps, but thank you for making me aware that this layer
> exists in Ubuntu land.  I was originally going to say "wha???" until I
> found the KickstartCompatibility page [1].
>

> That looks like a valid kickstart, and what you appear to be
> describing is a hang or hidden dialog after initramfs.  If that is the
> case, what is the call you are making to invoke the kickstart, because
> that seems like it might be more of the problem than the kickstart itself.
>
> Brian
>
> [1] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KickstartCompatibility

> By "invoke kickstart" I presume you mean how I'm calling the ks.cfg file?
> What I've done is changed the "append" line in /isolinux/txt.cfg to the
> following:
>

> Ok, so I ended up caving and just went with the "official" unattended
> method of using a preseed file... I don't understand why everyone can't
> just use kickstart...
>
> Using the preseed file I was able to get everything working without a
> hitch and I fear that what was hanging me up on the preseed file may also
> have been my downfall with the kickstart file. Apparently there is a /.disk
> file on the iso image and using cp does not pull the hidden files over.
> After copying over the .disk directory everything worked with preseed. I've
> not tried again with my ks.cfg file yet, however.
>
> --
> Ted W. < Ted at Techmachine.net >
> Registered GNU/Linux user #413569

James P. Kinney III