[ale] 10 Vital Tips for Job Seekers

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:49:26 EDT 2012

Here are the top things I do during a job search. Since I've talked to a
lot of folks who are searching for jobs it seemed helpful to share my
top tips.

If two of you read my blog post it will probably double my audience.

	http://leamhall.blogspot.com/

Otherwise you can read it, sans links, below. Honestly, the links are
pretty good though.

If you get this via BCC then you're one of the people I'm talking about.
Thank you very much. Someone please read this to Marco and Matilda; I
don't yet type "dog".

Leam

####

When I job search I take my own advice. I'm currently trying to change
jobs, careers, and locations. Oddly enough I was accused of calling
someone a "Welfare b****" when I gave this advice. The individual seemed
to think her age and experience was beyond these recommendations. That I
am older and have more experience didn't seem to change her mind.

Also know that I learn from books much better than webinars, seminars,
or any talking head I've ever met. There are some really good speakers
and videos available but for me they are introductions until I can find
the book.

That said, here is the advice I am currently following.

1. Integrate "The 7 Habits for Highly Effective People" by Stephen
Covey. You must begin with the end in mind.

2. Some recent version of "What color is your parachute" by Richard
Bolles. Look at transferable skills vice being stuck in a rut.

3. Prayer and Introspection. God does talk when I shut up and listen.

4. Find supporting, positive, people. I have a list of friends and
former co-workers I can turn to for encouragement when the job search
wears me out.

5. Recommend people on LinkedIn, and don't be too shy about asking for
recommendations. Sometimes I get really down and reread what folks have
said about the positive difference I have made.

6. Have a life. Some hobby or other distraction. Skim the book "Flow" at
the bookstore. It's a pretty good book but the short version is that we
are most joyful when we are doing something fun that stretches us just a
bit. Buy the book if you have the spare $$.

7. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters web site. I'm not totally sold on
it but they do have some good ideas. Free CD download too. The book
version is "Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters" and I have that too.

8. Help others out. This is one idea from GM4JH. Skip the networking
party and write a tutorial or some code that solves a problem. Share
said tutorial or code.

9. Once you have your web presence/portfolio/resume on line, go read
blogs on topics you are passionate about. Add constructive comments.
"Way cool!" does not count. Something like "This works well with the
Aqueduct Project. Thanks So and So for your thoughts. Have you tried
this with XYZ?" Make sure your web self is positive, professional, and
helpful.

10. If you're a geek, read "The Personal MBA" by Josh Kauffman. He
really makes business make sense and explains the concepts needed to get
your geek ideas accepted as good business practice. Buy this book since
Josh has had some personal setbacks due to wildfires out west.

Bonus Tip: Avoid processed sugar. Depression often accompanies job
searches and processed sugar makes the depression worse.

Double Bonus Tip: Accept being loved. Job searches can really make you
doubt your value and beat the heck out of your self-image. A supportive
spouse and a faithful dog (or two) can keep your heart healthy
physically and euphemistically.