[ale] OT Are you using QR codes on business cards and how

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jun 15 10:04:54 EDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 08:52 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi JD,
>
> I don't think it would be a good idea to make the card unreadable by humans
> without smart phones or tablets. I have seen a few designs like that, but I
> wouldn't do that. I intend to have all the critical data in text and human
> readable. The same data would be included in the QR code. I think the best
> potential feature of the QR code is that it allows the data to be captured
> quickly or a website to be visited quickly by someone with a smart phone or
> tablet. Also, the potential exists to embed more data in the code than can be
> put in plain text although I don't know if I would try that. In my reading, I've
> found that lots of people use the web link within the QR code to forward through
> an intermediate website which gives more contact data and links to social
> networking sites, etc. It occurred to me that you could do that whether you're
> using a QR code or not. It has the advantage of allowing you to change the data
> on the website even if what's printed on the card becomes outdated. I like that
> idea. I think I'll employ this tactic. I just have to figure out which
> intermediate site to store my contact data on, or whether to set up my own site.
> I'm not a designer either, so I might look into squarespace.com
> <http://squarespace.com>, which has lots of automated templates. There are free
> sites to do this, there is always the possibility they could disappear. I may
> even add another layer of redirection by using tinyurl.com <http://tinyurl.com>
> or bit.ly <http://bit.ly>, or maybe both. That would make a smaller and more
> readable QR code. It would forward squarespace.com <http://squarespace.com>, or
> wherever my other data is stored. If, later, I decide to store my contact data
> elsewhere, I just have to change the bit.ly <http://bit.ly> link.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

A few thoughts.

* I will not click on any URL shortener link, even from friends. Too much to
risk. Perhaps a friend with a domain redirector would give you a permanent
redirect?  I've seen redirector scripts written in php, perl, python, ruby. Not
much to the code.  Actually, it would be a nice script for a beginner to create.
Not too hard at all.  I think it would be under 50 lines easily with a GUI to
create new redirects. Someone could probably hack one together in 5 lines of
perl. ;)

* Having a domain for 10 yrs is only about $80.

* Please leave room for others to make notes on the card and use stock that
allows pencil or pen writing. I like to write notes about the person after I
meet them, before the memory fades.

* NearlyFreeSpeech.net for hosting - like $0.25/month for most people, but not
for noobs. They run BSD. They've been around at least 10 yrs, so their business
model works. If you want FREE, why not a blogger.com site? (Google won't
disappear without notice) After all, if you aren't looking for a web designer
position, then showing your organization skills without a fantastic design could
be useful.  Contact info and an extended HTML resume.  If you want to be
independent, you've already got a website.  Lots of static webpage theme
builders exist for  python, ruby, perl, ... http://webgen.rubyforge.org/ is an
example.  Most people would not know the difference. There is no need to spend
$10/month for pretty web hosting of static content.