[ale] OT: Is this for real? Fwd: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:18:50 EDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 08:13 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Most of the responses seem to be implying the email was legit.
>

> First off what do the headers of the original message show? Can you
actually trace it back to a Comcast.net IP as sender?

> Secondly remember that CUSTOMERS of Comcast get Comcast.net email
accounts. Even if it did come from a valid Comcast.net IP it is always
possible it was sent by someone that uses Comcast as their own ISP (or
someone?s whose PC was hijacked that does).

> I wouldn?t respond to the email. I?d call Comcast directly and find out
if they in fact sent the email and ask to speak to the department that
sent it.

That's what we had done this morning. My wife called our usual point of
contact at Comcast and after going through several layers she was able
to find that the info (mailing address and phone #s) on the email were
legit. However they had no means of confirming that the offence had
actually occurred and that we had to call the number which they gave
here was the same as what was in the email. She then called that number
and again went through several layers before she got to someone that
could confirm the info on the email (this is why I have my wife make
phone calls, as I don't have the patience to go through too many layers
in the phone system without melting the wires and phone with my abusive
verbiage as well as ear drums at the other end). They indicated that
they felt very strongly that someone had gotten in through my wireless
on the day that this happened. This also seems to be about the same time
that my wife's connection had dropped and came back reporting that the
connection was now unsecured. Both smartphones and the Nook had lost
their connections.

I used to have the wireless set up in non broadcast mode so that when
one queried for WiFi availability they didn't "see" my router/access
point. My wife's laptop worked fine that way, and my son and
daughter-in-law's laptops were also fine with that. We did notice that
her phone (iPhone 2) was ok but his phone wasn't able to connect (HTC
Inspire). Then when I got the Nook I had trouble setting up the WiFi
until set the router to broadcast. Once the Nook connected I was able to
turn off Broadcast. My wife and I got our smartphones (HTC Inspire, both
of them) and I could not get the phones to stay connected without
Broadcast turned on. I had to manually reset-up the config and then
after 5 or 10 minutes it would drop again, so I just turned it on and
left it on. Is there a way to get these things to work with the router
set to non-broadcast mode? I think the problem is, kids out of school,
bored, check to see what's available and hack into it so they can get
their illegit mp3s.

Copyright Infringement.

> I think amazon.com <http://amazon.com> used an Adele "Someone Like You"
song as something automatically downloaded when their downloader
software is installed at one point. Maybe just a coincidence, but if you
did download that file accidentally, maybe that's how you got it.

<mailto:csa-noreply at comcast.net>>
<mailto:hscast at comcast.net>>

> Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
>
> Abuse Incident Number: NA0000044757770
> Report Date/Time: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 13:04:16 -0500
>

> SCOTT CASTALANE
> 1629 AMHEARST MILL DR
> LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 300434755
>

> Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:
>
> Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its
> authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more
> copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service
> (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet
> Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time
> as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the
> copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds
> you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner
> that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation
> of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or
> termination of your Service account.
>
> If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to
> Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:
>
> Comcast Customer Security Assurance
> Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
> 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
> Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
> Phone: (888) 565-4329 <tel:%28888%29%20565-4329>
> Fax: (856) 324-2940 <tel:%28856%29%20324-2940>
>
> For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy,
> procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use
> Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.
>
> Sincerely,
> Comcast Customer Security Assurance
>
> Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:
>
> Infringing Work : SOMEONE LIKE YOU
> Filename : Adele - Someone Like You.mp3=20
> Filename : Adele - Someone Like You.mp3=20
> First found (UTC): 2012-06-04T20:36:58.90Z
> Last found (UTC): 2012-06-04T20:37:43.08Z
> Filesize : 4487709 bytes=20
> IP Address: 98.252.209.55
> IP Port: 55794
> Network: BitTorrent
> Protocol: BitTorrent =20

> Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net <mailto:ecashin at noserose.net>>
> http://noserose.net/e/
> http://www.coraid.com/
>

> Athena®, Created for the Cause?
>
> Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
>

> *How and Why I Should Support Bottled Water!
> *Do not relinquish your right to choose bottled water as a healthy
alternative to beverages that contain sugar, calories, etc. Your support
of bottled water will make a difference! Your signatures count! Go to
http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-iframe/dswaters and
sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled water.
Help fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits (or taxes)
and organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled water. Support
community curbside recycling programs. Support bottled water as a
healthy way to maintain proper hydration. Our goal is 50,000 signatures.
Share this petition with your friends and family today!

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or
confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you
have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.