[ale] OT: Is this for real? Fwd: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement.

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:22:14 EDT 2012

At my condo with the community's provided WiFi (also Comcast) the one
example of a letter where a copy was distributed to us it was of snail
mail. I find the very recent datestamp of 6/04 questionable, and it's using
Adele as the artist. I question it as legit unless it comes as snail mail.

On Jun 7, 2012 8:29 AM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:

> Most of the responses seem to be implying the email was legit.
>

> First off what do the headers of the original message show?   Can you
actually trace it back to a Comcast.net IP as sender?

> Secondly remember that CUSTOMERS of Comcast get Comcast.net email
accounts.  Even if it did come from a valid Comcast.net IP it is always
possible it was sent by someone that uses Comcast as their own ISP (or
someone’s whose PC was hijacked that does).

> I wouldn’t respond to the email.   I’d call Comcast directly and find out
if they in fact sent the email and ask to speak to the department that sent
it.

Cashin
> Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:28 AM
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
> Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Is this for real? Fwd: Notice of Claim of
Copyright Infringement.

> I think amazon.com used an Adele "Someone Like You" song as something
automatically downloaded when their downloader software is installed at one
point.  Maybe just a coincidence, but if you did download that file
accidentally, maybe that's how you got it.

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just received this , this evening. I'm not sure if it's bogus or real. I
> don't download mp3 files and if I get music I prefer it on pressed
> media. I definitely have not downloaded any Adele songs. The IP seems to
> match but so doesn't my neighbours. Can someone shed some light on this
> for me before I call Comcast and get nasty?

alternative to beverages that contain sugar, calories, etc. Your support of
bottled water will make a difference! Your signatures count! Go to
http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-iframe/dswaters and
sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled water. Help
fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits (or taxes) and
organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled water. Support community
curbside recycling programs. Support bottled water as a healthy way to
maintain proper hydration. Our goal is 50,000 signatures. Share this
petition with your friends and family today!

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or
confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have
received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.