[ale] OT: D-Day +68

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Wed Jun 6 23:36:29 EDT 2012

I met an elderly man in France while riding through Normandy on my
bicycle back in '96.  He was there that day, not as a soldier but as a
French citizen living under Nazi rule.  This man showed me what real
enduring gratitude is about.

I rode into a small town and stopped to get directions from two women.
When they noticed I was from the US they called over to their friend and
introduced me.  He didn't speak English -- and I know only enough French
to make the French want me to speak English -- but the women explained
that since being liberated he's made a commitment to do something nice
to any US citizen he encounters.  I just wanted to be on my way but he
insisted on taking me to lunch.  We communicated mainly in gestures and
diagrams but it was a lunch I'll never forget.

So yeah, what Aaron says too, but this day meant something real to a lot
of people.