[ale] Has anybody used a flash disk recovery service?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jun 5 16:01:12 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 11:13 -0400, david w. millians wrote:

> Opinions needed on a flash drive repair service. We have a person who
> did the laptop-flash-destruction maneuver.

What means "laptop-flash-destruction maneuver"?  No cutesy terms, what
happened?  Did they delete everything on it?  Did it start giving them
hard errors?  Did they run it through a washer and drier?  [Actually had
that happen with a little pocket drive - the NAND Flash chip fell off
the little PCB from the driver heat.  Wasn't anything on it I needed to
recover, fortunately.]  What was the technically correct term for what
they did and what they got?

> Money is not a HUGE object. I
> found:
> http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com
> and it looks like they could solve the actual issue.

I've done recoveries on both rotating magnetic and solid state.
Services can vary and results can vary depending on the nature of said
"destruction".

> Thanks,
> David

Mike