[ale] OT help ENDING unsolicited phone calls

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jun 5 13:34:15 EDT 2012

Using a pc as a home pbx is an interesting idea. I don't know if i can afford that right now, but will certainly keep it in mind. You bring up a good point about important but unforseen calls. That's one reason I want to see the caller id of even rejected calls. I may need to be able to pick up calls that otherwise would just go to the answering machine, and I need to have access to the caller id and recorded messages without going to the basement.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Scott Plante <splante at insightsys.com> wrote:

Yeah, this year I've gotten a lot of so-called political surveys that are just covers for the old timeshare scams. They say something like "To increase survey response, a donor has offered a free (weekend stay, cruise, etc) for anyone who completes the survey." I thought I saw an article about the FCC beginning to go after those guys, but they can make a letter-of-the-law defense.

You could certainly do the kinds of things you're trying to do with Asterisk (or Freeswitch). You might look at a distro like IncrediblePBX -- they have something close to what you're after built in, I believe. You'll need an old computer and a TDM card, so it might be more expensive than what you're interested in. If you've already got a Linux box running at home, though, you might be able to make it work. You can also drop the cable phone line for VoIP and save some money.

Another technique is for those not on your whitelist, make them press a button or answer a question. That way, you eliminate the robo-dialers but, say, a family member calling from an unknown phone because their cell is dead can still get through.

Good point. I'm already on the list. Doesn't do the trick. Political, survey, and charity callers are excluded from the rules. Not only that, many entities that should be subject to the rules ignore them. I don't have time to worry about getting them prosecuted. The FCC already knows about most of the abusers. I just don't want their calls to ring through at all. If you google nuisance calls, etc., you'll find that many people think the do not call list is a joke and that the fcc isn't doing it's job going after the abusers.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

simontek at gmail.com wrote:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Place number on that, anytime you get a call, get info, and have them fined $16,000, each time.

On , "Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> In this scenario, if someone on my white list calls, the phones ring as normal. The device I mentioned has two white lists, so I can restrict my vendors I deal with to business hours, etc. If someone not on my white list calls, they get sent to the answering machine, and if they have a legit reason to call me, they can leave a message. But, what's cool is that my phones never ring except for people on the white lists.
>

> Now, assuming the device can drive all my phones, one problem remains. Because my phones never ring for non approved calls, their caller id never activates. Since the cable modem is in the basement, that's where the ring controller will be. So, there is no way to easily check the caller id list to see what calls came in that weren't on the white list, in case I missed some that I actually want to ring. I'm not even sure my phones will get caller id if they do ring, because the ring controller has to detect the first ring and the caller id, before deciding to ring my other phones.
>

> So, what I'd like to do is put remote, preferably wireless, caller id displays in certain rooms and have their base down in the basement, before the ring controller. That way, those devices will have a record of all the calls, and I can review the list. That way, if "cousin joe" calls and I want to let his calls ring through, I can add him to the white lists. Also, I wouldn't mind if the caller id devices have an OPTIONAL ring indicator. So, I'm OK if there is a minimal beep or something when a restricted call comes in. Then, I can just glance at the caller id device and either ignore it, or make a note to add it to the white list. I don't know for sure what would happen if I pick up the phone when a restricted call is coming in, whether it would work, or whether I get nothing. Since the phones never ring, it may be nothing.
>

> I'd like suggestions as to how to solve the caller id problem, or, how to tackle this problem in general.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Ron
>

> --
>

> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9 Mail.
>
> Please excuse my potential brevity.
>

> (To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
>
> messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the wrong
>
> address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

> call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>
> mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo