[ale] A question for the python gurus

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Jun 1 16:56:48 EDT 2012

I used to work in a shop that was mainly managed by mainframe types.   Even though we were running UNIX they continued to talk at us about "job abends" "DASD" and other terms from their world trying to make them fit Open Systems.

Ultimately I believe that project failed its initial intent because those Management types who were tasked with creating an Open Systems version of an earlier Mainframe product insisted on requiring a mainframe for a major processing piece so it was a 3 tier solution.   I can just hear the prospective clients now:
"So we should dump our current mainframe only solution in order to buy a solution that requires UNIX servers, Windows workstations AND ANOTHER MAINFRAME?"

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the abbreviation for MainFrame is MF...?