[ale] Low voltage work in GA

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 31 14:33:28 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:28 PM, Cameron Kilgore wrote:
> So how much of this applies to installing Ethernet in a residence,
> outside of the Metro Atlanta area? Are these code requirements statewide?

If you are doing work on your own home that you live in, you can pretty
much bypass any requirement by simply not pulling a permit.

TECHNICALLY, you're supposed to pull permits, even for interior work.

In PRACTICE, most people I know that work on their homes rarely pull
permits unless they have an outside contractor come in, and the
contractor will pull the required permits automatically (or at least,
they're supposed to).

People who are doing work on the houses that they own and live in are
granted a bit more latitude, though that doesn't mean that they should
do things incorrectly.  That simply means that if they do things wrong
they may have a hard time selling their house.

You can also help out a friend for free without pulling permits, at
least in practice, for interior work.

For exterior work you will almost always have to pull a permit and have
the work inspected by local code enforcement officer(s) before declaring
the work finished.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”