[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 31 13:23:50 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 11:31 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 10:30 AM, simontek at gmail.com wrote:
> > Who shuts off a server? Get a server with amt or pmi built in. Allows you to log in, and turn on a machine that is turned off
> The scenario is that the computer senses the power is gone and does an
> orderly shutdown before the UPS battery dies.  That's why it's shut off.

> I guess I'm not going to do it since all the solutions so far include
> spending big bucks.  I had hoped I could just use a spare system I have
> sitting around.

See if your "spare system" responds to this...

http://lonesysadmin.net/2007/06/21/how-to-configure-ipmi-on-a-dell-poweredge-running-red-hat-enterprise-linux/

It worked on my Dell PowerEdge systems but it also worked on some of my
IBM servers as well.

Synopisi - Install:

* OpenIPMI
* OpenIPMI-libs
* freeipmi
* ipmitool

Then fire up ipmi ("service ipmi start" on Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, or
related).  If it starts up OK, then the drivers loaded and the daemon is
running and you are probably good to go.

Then run this:

ipmitool -I open lan print 1

If that gives you a nice printout then you've got ipmi built into the
box and all you need is another system to remotely connect to it.
Follow the rest of the instructions in that article to lock it down
tight!

Regards,
Mike