[ale] [OT] Home PBX?

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Tue Jul 31 08:25:21 EDT 2012

I put in an Asterisk box at home using Elastix 2.3.0 and a Sangoma
A200/Remora FXO/FXS Analog AFT card with 2 FXO and 2 FXS ports (got it for
free at a conference).

It doesn't make much practical sense in a home environment (you could run
an entire company off this software), but I can testify it's a lot of fun
to play around with and will be a most rewarding learning experience.

I went for Gigaset C610A IP wireless handsets. The base station connects to
asterisk, and the handsets connect to the base - it's a DECT setup. You can
connect up to 6 handsets to the base station, but are limited to 3
 simultaneous calls. I also added a Yealink T26P IP phone (was also a
giveaway one time).

Asterisk has completely put paid to the unwanted call problem I was having,
although there is no question that I used a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

As Scott mentioned, check out Atlanta Asterisk Users Group too, once you
start getting into the nitty-gritty of things.

hth

ed

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Michael Campbell <
michael.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, we have an AT&T POTS line incoming, and I've been kicking the idea
> around of doing a home PBX type thing.
>
> I was wondering where to start; are there some well-known FOSS things out
> there that I could begin my research with?  I'm assuming I'd need some sort
> of hardware (fax-modem?) to catch the incoming calls, then the software to
> "do interesting $#@! with it".  I just don't know what my possibilities are
> or what the capabilities (and price) of such things would be.
>
> Pointers welcome.

Edward Holcroft
Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW
Norcross, GA
30071
Tel (770) 446-9606
GoogleVoice (678) 587-8649

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not