[ale] [OT] Lifespan of Storage Devices

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Sat Jul 28 13:11:19 EDT 2012

Any flash storage is bad for long term storage.  The floating gate weakens over
time if not periodically refreshed by the internal controller.  And the more
program/erase cycles and to a lesser extent read cycles on a gate, the weaker it
gets with respect to power off retention.

Of course all mediums cave to entropy over time.  However flash has a faster
curve than most physical mediums.
The main rule of backups though is backup to multiple medium and routinely
verify all copies.  No mechanism can survive passive maintenance.

-Alan